Monday, April 18, 2016

Chicken Santa Fe (375)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html
As I walked into the house after an exhausting day of school, something smelled DELICIOUS! This something was Chicken Santa Fe. With a busy week of school and softball and other commitments, I took the opportunity on a Sunday night to prep for the week ahead. This ended up being a functional, quick meal that I could easily figure out and make. Cooking is more an estimation rather than baking where you need exact measure. I sprinkled spices and sauces and was able to produce a scrumptious meal bringing Mexican cuisine a little closer to home.
This recipe is a calorie friendly meal, having only 190 calories per one cup. Not to mention how easy it is, all you have to do is throw in some veggies into a pot and you're good to go. When dumping in your can goods, the tomatoes and green chilies you don't need to drain the juices out, because you need some liquid while cooking the chicken in the crock pot. When working with black beans, make sure to drain and wash the beans in the can. If you don't your meal may be a little salty, but I prefer black beans drained. When I made this I didn't have any fresh cilantro, so I used dried cilantro that comes in the spice container. While making this recipe I learned what scallions are! all they are, are green onions *laughing emoji*. Now you just shake some spices on top of your veggies, and maybe do a little dance while you do it. Lastly you put the chicken on top, at my house we like to sprinkle fajita seasoning on top of the chicken to add appetizing flavor.  If not cooking right away put the crock in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook. 
Now all you have to is turn on your crock pot in the morning, go to work or school, and magic is brewing all day. Chicken Santa Fe is best over rice. Just quickly make minute rice and you're good to go. I also like to put cheese, sour cream, and salsa over top of it. I love this meal and always look forward to eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment