Sunday, December 6, 2015

Thanksgiving Favorites Part 1

Even though Thanksgiving was over a week ago now, we can still talk about it, and about how everything was. I had two Thanksgivings to attend, one held on Thursday for a large lunch type of thing which we hosted. And we also had a Thanksgiving on Saturday, which was huge consisting of a lot family, which fortunately we did not have to host this year. I had a great time eating the wonderful foods and seeing family. Both are normally just a once a year type of thing which is really fun. Everyone has different traditions, and I'm going to share what I eat with you guys, and maybe you can talk this items and put them into what you make for this holiday.

On Thanksgiving Day, we normally have a handful of people come over for a luncheon, lunch-dinner type of thing around 12:30-1:00. We have a bunch of food and its always really, really nice and quiet. A calm before the storm (storm meaning Black Friday shopping). We obviously have turkey. We start to thaw the turkey around the weekend before that filling Thursday. We don't get up super early to put the turkey in, we put it in around 7:00 a.m. We season it to perfection with a variety of different seasonings we have in our spice cabinet. We turn up the heat, so that it browns the turkey, and then we turn it down so it cooks the all the juicy meat. We make sure that is done, by checking with a meat thermometer. Once it is all cooked we take it out (which is about 12:30) and start to cut it, or carve it. This year, while my dad was cutting, the turkey accidently fell on the floor. I know, I know, we kind of 10 second ruled it. It was still good, and a little dirt never hurt anyone??? We still had a lot of turkey that didn't touch the ground. And the turkey looked beautiful, when it came out.

Not only are there loads and loads of turkey, but we can't forget about the sides. They're what make or break the meal. You can't just have turkey, well you can, but its good to have variety. We love to have sides of corn, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, and bread rolls. We normally just make the boxed stuffing, but you can use what kind you like. I personally like boxed stuffing more. Just follow those directions and make it to your liking. For the corn, we make a bag of frozen corn. I love corn so that is a huge must. We also make tons of potatoes, we boil them up and then mash them with a mixer, making sure to add in milk to make them so creamy. We also dump in all the ingredients to make the green bean casserole. That is honestly so easy to make, you literally just dump in the ingredients, with consist of green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and French's French Fried Onions. And we buy lots of rolls, my cousin eats like fifty of them, and I love them too, so they are definitely an essential.

Thanksgiving, is such a favorite of mine. I love food, and the comfort food that is severed on Thanksgiving screams family. I love being able to see all of my family and eating all the delicious food. It is a nice little stepping stone, with a little break before Christmas. My family and I watch the parade together and going shopping together, its a family tradition. Something I love about traditions is how they differ from person to person. It's truly what the holidays are about.

No comments:

Post a Comment